Monday, January 27, 2014

 

Sunday shopping in Stockholm

Sunday mornings when in Stockholm I always go to the local flea market.  There have not been as many vendors here these past two weeks as there usually are.  I thought it might have been the weather but learned that the tax authorities have caught up with these sellers.  Most of the vendors here went out of their way to provide me with a receipt...not typical!  I arrived as many of the sellers were just unpacking.  They set up row after row of wobbly old card tables and then unload banana boxes of treasures.  This was an especially good day for art.  I also found an old typewriter that was probably American but had a number of Swedish cities listed on it.  I never realized how heavy an old typewrite can be until I carried it two blocks, through cold air, over icy sidewalks to my car.  On one of the trips to my car I was carrying a large lithograph and equally large oil painting: one in each hand.  At one point the canvas came apart from the frame and as I went to place it back in a large nail cut into my cuticle.  (which is why I always keep my tetanus shots up to date)  I quickly wrapped a tissue around my finger, awkwardly picked up both works of art, and continued my trek to the car.  If you had seen me you would have crossed the street...looked a bit like a bag lady.

Any sane person would have headed home after that but I ventured on to two more second hand shops.  One in the city and one near my suburban hotel.  The latter was having a half price sale and I found wonderful Christmas linens,assorted handicrafts and....more art!

I drove into town to have dinner with the cousin who is visiting from Gothenburg: we have fabulous grilled salmon served with fennel and  sweet potato fries.  I headed back to my room around 8pm where I continued the job of inventorying my purchases and wrapping them for the summer shipment.  (a choice few will come home in my suitcase!)

Monday I will have breakfast and lunch with cousins and shop in between.!

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]