Thursday, January 9, 2014

 

Open floor plan vs art!

I grew up in a house filled with art.  We lived in North Jersey (Clark to be precise) and my parents would always take us to the Greenwich Village Art Show each year.  (Maybe even twice a year...it might have been held spring and fall)  We would wander the streets checking out each artists works.  We also would usually visit the Museum of Modern Art.  Over the years our walls were filled with work created by the various artists we met at these shows.   My father did not attend college and my mother had just one year at the University of Pennsylvania so their love of art and their "eye" for art was not something learned but rather innate.  I am so happy they shared and nurtured it with me.
My own house is filled with art.  Some I created myself, some are from a wonderful
 artist, Lila Oliver Asher, (now 92) who lived in our old neighborhood of Chevy Chase, and the rest are from my many trips to Sweden.  Original art is in abundance there...especially art from the 30's and 40's.  I'm like a kid in a candy shop when I go there to find stock for the store and a piece or two for myself.
What's Missing from this photo?  Art!
My husband and I are looking for downsize.  All of the new condos boast open floor plans.  Sounds great and roomy and airy but where are the walls for art?  Windows are great but where do you hang art?  I'll go to an older unit before giving up walls and thus my art collection.  How are artists to sell their works if people haven't the space to display them?  Let's hope the tearing down of the walls is a trend that will fade and allow more space for art.
Lila Oliver Asher Print

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]