Friday, January 3, 2014

 

Oh dem golden slippers!

Peter and I have different backgrounds.  He is a first generation Estonian American whose father was a Lutheran Minister. I am a Heinz 57 with French , Irish, and Pennsylvania  German blood who was raised catholic and had a father who was born Mennonite.  The main thing we had in common? Both of us were born in Philadelphia.  This common bond ( and love for each other) brings us back to the city of brotherly love and the mummer's parade each new year 's day.  This year the air was chilly but the crowd fun! We got there early to secure best grandstand seats ( you need tickets) and enjoyed the comics and other groups in anticipation of the string bands.  This year we loved lots of the routines but Quaker city was our favorite with their theme of California here I mum!  I was lucky to get a photo with the captain of this team (They later were voted first place !)  My uncle, George Simmers, was one of the founders of the hog island comics but this year I  must admit that Quaker city won my heart as did the Philly Phanatic shown below!


.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]