Monday, January 6, 2014

 

Little Christmas

My parents were married 63 years ago today.  My Mom died shortly after their 57th wedding anniversary and when people would ask my Dad how long they had been married he'd answer:  Not long enough!  So sweet.  He only lasted one more year without her.
My mother always said she chose January 6 to marry because the church would still be decorated for Christmas.  I just now realized that it didn't matter about the church because Dad was Lutheran and back in the 50's Lutherans and Catholics could not be married inside the church.  Their wedding was at the rectory and I am guessing their reception was at home.  Why did I never ask them that question?  Or perhaps I did and simply don't remember.
In our house we keep our tree up until January 6 which is traditionally known as the feast of the Epiphany and also known as Little Christmas.  That celebration and tradition has pretty much disappeared in the states but I notice that Swedes seem to keep their holiday lights on up to and even beyond this date.  I guess part of it is because it is another way to light their homes on these dark days of winter.  Eager to see if lights are still up when I arrive on the 17th.  Meanwhile...happy little Christmas!  And Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad-we miss you!


Labels: , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]