Wednesday, January 22, 2014

 

Bandy anyone?

The week before I left for Stockholm NPR ran a piece on Sweden, the game of Bandy, and Somalis.  It seems that Swedes are working with Somali youths to teach them Bandy, a classic Swedish game played on ice, in an effort to help them assimilate into the culture.  I had never heard of the game before.  Imagine my surprise when I learned our young relative, a twelve year old girl, plays on a Bandy team!  Tonight I went with her Grandfather to watch her practice.  Their drill included having everyone lie on the ice and then get up quickly and skate to the other side.  There were lots of practice shots and a few of the Bandy balls (hard plastic and often pink) came very close to hitting us.  (no protective glass between the rink and sidelines)  It was a delightful cold crisp evening!
Linda in uniform on the bandy rink

Linda in a practice drill of Bandy

Uh...no thanks I'd rather stand!

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]