Tuesday, December 3, 2013

 

Stolen Christmas trees!

Every fifth Swedish Christmas tree 'stolen'
Most Swedes have a good idea of the respect inherent in Sweden's amazing 'Allemansrätten' - every man's right to roam freely but responsibly in nature. Most of the time that is... Christmas not counted.
The hmm.. tradition in Sweden to steal a tree for Christmas hit the forest-owners hard, and according to the Swedish TV news program “Rapport”, every fifth Christmas tree in Sweden is stolen.
The thefts around Christmas mean a loss of a couple of hundred million SEK (one hundred million SEK is the equivalent of close to $15 million). This according to Esbjörn Wahlberg at Sveaskog (Sweden’s largest forest owner and leading supplier of timber), who has studied the thefts. 


Read this in a couple of English Language Swedish Newspapers...The Local and Nordstjernan.  Seems a little grinch like to steal a tree!  Although...I do admit that the first Christmas in my own apartment, when I was driving home from my parents, I picked up a "free" tree at the Christmas tree stand-it was abandoned with trees piled up waiting to be taken away.  I still remember the  pleasant little evening Ihad over 30 years ago with my own real tree in my first real place! (I didn't have lit candles on mine!)

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]