Tuesday, December 17, 2013

 

Piparkoogid-Pepparkakor-Ginger Snap time!


Today I am off and plan to make the dough for gingerbread cookies.  The shop keeps me so busy these days that I told my husband and son to each pick a favorite cookie they wanted me to bake.  My son picked Chocolate Chip (a little boring but, hey, who doesn't love chocolate and nuts) and my husband picked Piparkoogid which is the Estonian word for gingerbread cookies.  (Peter's parents were both born in Estonia but met and married  in Philadelphia)  This cookie also plays a big role in Swedish Jul celebrations.  Tradition has it that on Christmas eve you should place one cookie in the palm of your hand, make a wish, and then with finger of opposite hand press down on center of cookie to break it.  If it breaks into 3 pieces your wish will come true...if it doesn't I say you should keep trying (and eating the results) until it does.  I wish you calm and happy days leading to Christmas.  If you don't feel like baking Klaradal sells Lar's Own ginger cookies...as close to homemade as you can get without pulling from your own oven!  We have boxes or a tin featuring a gorgeous Stockholm skyline.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]