Saturday, June 22, 2013

 

Midsommer Celebration in the afternoon

We arrived in Svenljunga to sunny skies but, as is typical of a midsommer day, the clouds soon gathered.  The celebration started at 2:30 with music by a small band and singing by young girls in summer dresses with rings of flowers in their hair.  In the midst of these performances we had to raise our umbrellas as torrential rains started, again, to be expected in Svenljunga at midsommer.  When it came time to march in the midsommer pole Peter and David (thanks to Peter's cousin Jaak) were invited to participate.  The rains came to a stop as the pole was delivered and raised.  It was beautifully decorated with birch branches, lupines and a Swedish flag.  Shortly after the pole arrived so did the dancers in national costume.  They performed for quite awhile and then formed a procession and followed a Swedish Flag that led them to the exit.   When the professionals were finished the children and parents started to dance around the pole.  In Sweden even the most jaded of teens will feign embarrassment as they join their mothers and fathers, aunts and uncles, in this most festive tradition.   During the dancing the community sold cookies, slices of cake and, of course, coffee!  We headed out around 4:30 as the skies once again darkened with the threat of rain.  Alas....I realize I took the photos at midsommer with my camera, rather than my phone, and I have forgotten to pack the USB cord which allows me to download photos.  Darn!  I could use a dammit doll right now!  I promise to stick to my phone from now on and perhaps, once I get to Stockholm will be able to purchase something to help me fetch these photos.  (there were so many adorable kids there...my favorite was a chunky ginger toddler with the most gorgeous ring of flowers in her hair!)

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]