Thursday, September 18, 2008

 

Lancaster County Smokehouse Apples

This weekend I was back in Lancaster to visit my Dad. Together we went to a favorite orchard (Cherry Hill Orchards) to see if there were any peaches left. We found some white peaches and then noticed an apple called smokehouse. My father, who will be 87 in October, commented that he remembered eating those apples as a kid. I bought a bushel for the Klaradal apple festival which will be held this weekend September 20 and 21. I then
researched these Smokehouse apples and found this information on http://www.bighorsecreekfarm.com/

(Gibbons Smokehouse, Mill Creek, Red Vandevere) - A wonderful and very flavorful apple that originated in the 1830's with William Gibbons of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. The original tree grew up near the smokehouse of Mr. Gibbons and thus its name was derived. Besides its excellent eating qualities, Smokehouse is a fine cooking and baking apple. The apple has greenish-yellow skin covered with shades and stripes of red. Flesh is yellowish, crisp and firm with a pleasing spicy flavor. Ripens September or later depending on the locale
I found my photo on www.flickr.com

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]