Wednesday, September 3, 2008

 

Estonian Cabbage Strudel at Scan Fest

This weekend we loaded a truck with Swedish antiques, furniture, and gifts and headed to Budd Lake New Jersey for the 24th (and our 4th) annual Scan Fest. Every year there is a dinner the night before the event for all of the vendors. There is a Finnish cook who makes most of the food and participants bring some more dishes. This year I brought Estonian Cabbage Strudel. It's a dish my mother-in-law always made. It's made with butter, cream cheese, cabbage and eggs and is almost cake like...despite the cabbage! We always have this dish as an appetizer. When we were in Estonia adopting our son one of my mother-in-law's cousin's had us to dinner. He was an older gentleman who had spent 20 years in Siberia. He and his wife lived in a tiny apartment and served us in their combination living, dining room, and kids bedroom. We had a strudel like this but filled with carrots. It was delicious but I only took a little piece wanting to save room for dinner. Much to my chagrin I realized, when dessert came, that the strudel was dinner. I guess that is a hint to our weight problems here in the states!

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]