Monday, January 28, 2008

 

Sunday, Busy Sunday

Sunday, January 27 we awoke to a clear, bright, albeit cold day. In the morning we shopped at the Sunday Flea market in Hortorget before continuing onto a favorite auction house for some warmth and intense bidding. I think others had the same idea...the auction house was more crowded than usual and thus we had more competition...but we still managed some great buys. We finished out the day by attending a community flea market in Solna. All in all we spent about 7 solid hours shopping and have lots to show for it. Among my favorite purchases is a tiny silouette of a young girl dated 1847 and a wonderful oil portrait of a stern yet regal woman also dating to 1800's.
At one point, while we were driving between sales I marveled at the birch forests which were a blur of thin white trees. It made me wonder how Moose, with their majestic antlers are able to navigate through this maze of black and white. It also reminded me of my one and only Sweden moose sighting which ocurred this Summer. My son and I were traveling up north and approaching the town of Mora at around 5 in the evening. We were hours from sunset but rainy weather made it darker than usual. Suddenly, a safe distance ahead, a Mother moose with her calf trailing directly behind her crossed in front of me. It was amazing how they moved...a quick trot with their massive heads hanging low. It was almost as if they were tip toeing in front of us thinking that if they didn't look at us or hold up their heads we wouldn't notice them. Nothing could have been further from the truth! It's one of my favorite memories. My only other moose sighting happened in Estonia near the city of Tallinn. We were driving by a popular beach on the baltic sea and way out in the distance I saw a moose standing in the water. We turned around and watched as some good Samaritans tried to herd him out of the sea. It is, apparently, not unusual for young Moose to wander near the town and do unusual things...such as takng a dip in the baltic sea!

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]